New Feature: Window Into Our Lives, share your window too!

Monday, March 3, 2008

Fabulous Tip Friday


I recently read this tip over at Bird on a Wire, Deb's post 9 Aha! Moments For Household Cleaning. It is also seen on realsimple.com

Clean Your Dishwasher with Lemonade
Original Purpose: Quenching your thirst when you were a kid.
Aha!! Use: Cleaning lime deposits and iron stains inside the dishwasher. Pour a packet of lemonade Kool-Aid ( this is the only flavor that works) into the detergent cup and run the dishwasher while empty.

Reward: The citric acid in the mix wipes out stains, so you don’t have to. And at 25 cents is over $3.00 cheaper than the commercial cleaners available at the grocery.
So I read about this and decided to try it out. Since Kool-Aid packets were 5 for a dollar I had to try it out. Surprisingly it really does work! Our dishwasher is old had had a yellow tint to it (on the inside) After I used the Kool-Aid the inside was white again, and it also ran better. I am not sure if this helped or not, but before I tried the Kool-Aid our dishwasher made a weird sound, almost like a grinding sound. After using the Kool-Aid it does not make the sound anymore.


2 comments:

gigibelts said...

This I have to try!

Bunny B said...

How KOOL is that?! It really does 'aid' in cleaning! :)